If you’d like to talk through any of the options, give us a call. We can help you on the spot or arrange an appointment for you to talk to someone face-to-face at your nearest Kiwibank.
Kiwibank’s Tertiary Pack is loaded with good stuff for students:
- No account management or transaction fees on your everyday accounts, service fees may apply
- You can apply for an interest free overdraft of up to $1,000 for your first year and up to $2,000 in your second and subsequent years. There’s no set up or change fees – just a $2 monthly facility fee
- You can apply for a Low Rate Mastercard® with a limit of up to $500. No annual fee for the first year if you’re taking up a Kiwibank Credit Card for the first time
- It’s free to use any ATM on university campuses (even if it’s another bank’s)
- Free TXT banking. Your mobile provider may charge you TXT messaging costs for sending TXTs
Managing your money
Students know how to make a little go a long way. We can help you manage your money on a shoestring.
- With our Bill Blaster account, you can put money aside for expenses like rent, bills and loan repayments. Don’t get caught short on rent day ever again.
- Want to know what you’ve got right now? You can check your balance and transfer funds on your smartphone. Take a look at our iPhone or Android apps.
- Got something you need to save for? Check out our Help Me Save Calculator to see what you might be able to save by cutting back on those non-essentials.
- With a Back–up Saver, your money is on hand but you still earn interest. You can even personalise your account to help you save towards goals, like ‘Sam’s big OE’. The perfect partner to your Tertiary Pack.
- Credit cards can be useful, but you need to know how to use them wisely. Our online video guide answers your top credit card questions.
- Studying often coincides with moving into a new flat. Kiwibank makes it easy with our flat accounts, which can be set up with two people’s names and two EFTPOS cards. If you set up your flat account as a Free Up, it will also be free of electronic transaction fees and monthly account fees.
Budgeting can be tricky, especially when you’re living on a student allowance. A budget puts you in control, and helps you figure out how much you’ll need tomorrow, next week or next month.
For heaps of useful information and other handy stuff, check out Sorted. Sorted has different tools to help you with all areas of your financial life.
Student loans and allowances
It pays to apply for student loans and allowances well ahead of time. You can apply online on the StudyLink website. Even if you get an allowance, think about working part–time or in your holidays. The less student debt you have, the easier life will be down the track.
To be eligible for the Tertiary Pack, you must be studying full or part-time at a New Zealand University, Polytech, Industry Training Organisation or NZQA approved place of study for a minimum of one year. To be eligible for a Kiwibank Low Rate Mastercard or interest free overdraft, you need to be aged 18 or over, be a permanent New Zealand resident, have a good credit history and have any income paid to your Kiwibank account. Service fees may apply.