House Insurance

Make a claim

You’ve worked hard to get your house, so get insurance to make sure you’re covered if something goes wrong.

Benefits at a glance

  • Replacement cover to have your home rebuilt up to the size you specify if your house is destroyed by events such as fire or flood.

  • Natural disaster damage cover for events such as earthquakes, natural landslips, or volcanic eruptions.

  • Alternative accommodation up to $25,000, with the option to increase to $50,000.

  • Package discount if you take out two or more Kiwi Insure house, contents or car insurance products.

Protect your home and be in to win 12 monthly payments of $350

Sign up for a new House Insurance policy between 9 March - 30 September 2020 and go in the draw to win cash to help with your household expenses for a year. There’s one prize of 12 monthly payments of $350 to win. T&Cs apply.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we've extended the term of the promotion to 30 September 2020. Stay safe and take care.

How it works

How much cover do you need?

  • If your house is destroyed by a sudden and accidental event like a fire or flood, we’ll pay to have it rebuilt up to its current size and specification.
  • If your house is damaged or destroyed by a natural disaster it will be replaced up to the 'sum insured' you specify. This will include any payment from EQCover and is the maximum we'll pay.
  • Your sum insured isn't the same as the market value of your house. It’s calculated based on how much it’s likely to cost to rebuild after a natural disaster.
  • You can ask a licensed builder, quantity surveryor, architect or registered valuer to help you work out your sum insured, or you can do it yourself with the independent online Cordell Sum Sure calculator.

Apply for House Insurance

Get an online quote and sign up in just three minutes. If you're not quite sure what you need, or you'd like to discuss your options, we’ve got the right people to help you.

Quote & purchase online

If you’re applying for house, contents or car insurance you can get a quote and purchase online.

Get a quote and buy online

Talk to an insurance expert

If you’d like to talk to someone about any of our insurances, or apply over the phone, get in touch with our insurance team.

Talk to an expert

You may also be interested in

New House Insurance policy campaign terms and conditions
  1. Information on how to enter the prize draw forms part of the conditions of entry. Entrants agree to be bound by these terms and conditions and any other requirements set out in the material relating to this promotion. Entry into the prize draw is deemed acceptance of these terms and conditions.
  2. Entry is only open to New Zealand residents aged 18 or over. Each entrant must be an individual, not a business and be a customer of Kiwibank. The Promoter is Kiwibank Limited (the “Promoter”). The Promoter reserves the right to verify the eligibility of the winner.
  3. The Promotional Period commences 00:05am Monday 9 March 2020 and closes 5pm Monday 30 September 2020 (the “Promotional Period”). Entries received after the Promotional Period ends will be ineligible to participate in the prize draw.
  4. To be entered into the prize draw, participants must have a new in-force and compliant House Insurance policy, arranged by Kiwi Insure® during the Promotional Period. There will only be one entry per policy and entry will be automatic once the policy is issued. Kiwi Insure® is a brand of Kiwibank.
  5. The winner of the prize draw will be selected at random by the Promoter on Friday 9 October 2020. Attempts will be made to notify the winner by phone or email using the contact telephone number or email address provided at the time of application for the policy. If the Promoter has made reasonable efforts and is unable to contact a winner prior to 5pm Friday 9 October 2020, then the prize will be forfeited, and an alternative winner will be selected at random in accordance with these terms. The Promoter’s decision is final, and no correspondence or negotiation will be entered into.
  6. Staff of Kiwibank and Ando Insurance Group aren't eligible for the prize draw.
  7. There will be one prize draw, for a single prize as follows:
    1. The winner will receive the following Prize: 12 x monthly payments of $350 (the “Prize”).
    2. Each monthly payment will be paid by the 5th of each month from 5 June 2020 to 5 May 2021, into the winner’s nominated bank account. If the 5th of the month falls on a weekend or public holiday, it will appear in the winner’s account on the next business day.
    3. The total Prize is valued at $4,200.
  8. No other alternatives to the Prize will be offered and the Prize isn't transferrable, negotiable or exchangeable.
  9. If the Prize Winner cancels the Kiwi Insure House Insurance policy within the 12 month period, or is otherwise in default of the policy terms, the Promoter reserves the right to cancel the payments and the Prize Winner will not be entitled to the balance remaining from the date of cancellation until the final payment on 5 May 2021 payment.
  10. Acceptance of the Prize is deemed consent for the Promoter to use the winner’s details for promotional and media purposes without any further reference, payment or other compensation to the winner. Please refer to our General Terms and Conditions (PDF 200.5 KB) for details about how personal information may be stored and used.
  11. Any tax or other financial consequences arising from receipt of the Prize will be the responsibility of the Prize Winner. Entrants should obtain independent tax and financial advice.
  12. The Promoter isn't responsible for any loss, damage or personal injury suffered by any person arising directly or indirectly out of, or in connection with, this competition or the Prize except as required by law. The Promoter shall be responsible for each payment until the payment has been deposited into the Prize Winner’s nominated bank account (being, the same account from which the Kiwi Insure premiums are paid out of), following which, the payment will be the responsibility of the Prize Winner.
  13. If this Promotion isn't capable of running as planned for any reason beyond the reasonable control of the Promoter, the Promoter reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, vary, modify or suspend the Promotion.
  14. The address of the Promoter is Kiwibank Limited, Private Bag 39888, Wellington Mail Centre, Lower Hutt, New Zealand.