Verifying your identity and address

If you’re opening a new account with Kiwibank, we’ll need to see some ID to verify your identity and your address. We'll also need you to provide information about your overseas tax residency status before we can open your account.

Verify online

If you have a RealMe verified identity and address you can share them with us online and save yourself a trip to a branch.

To have a RealMe verified identity and address you'll have already:

  • Applied for a verified identity via RealMe and had your photo taken, used the RealMe online identity service or selected verified option when renewing your New Zealand Passport
  • Received and used a unique code sent by New Zealand Post to prove your address.

Verify in branch

Verifying your identity

You can bring either:

  • your passport, or
  • your New Zealand driver licence and a credit or ATM/EFTPOS card from another bank, with your name and signature on it.
  • Don’t have these? Find out what else you can bring Kiwibank's Identify and Verify (PDF 142.1 KB).

Verifying your address

You’ll also need to bring in a document printed with your name and address that’s dated in the last six months. This can either be a:

  • power, phone (fixed line, not mobile) or other utility bill
  • bank statement or letter issued from another registered New Zealand bank in the last six months
  • letter from central government or local council
  • store account statement
  • letter from a GP or hospital
  • letter from a school or tertiary institute
  • tenancy agreement
  • employment agreement
  • letter from another financial institution
  • letter from electoral office.

Under 18?

There are a few extra details we’ll need from you if you’re under 18.

Verifying your identity

If you’re under 18 and you don’t have two forms of identification (as listed above), we can accept a New Zealand birth certificate. Just make sure it’s the original version. You’ll still need to show proof of your address.

Verifying your address

If you don’t have a proof of address in your own name, we’ll also accept proof of address from your parent or guardian.

Proof of relationship

If you're under 16, we'll also need to see proof of the relationship between you and your parent or guardian, along with their ID. Proof of relationship could be:

  • An original version birth certificate
  • A Court Order
  • A Letter from Oranga Tamariki - Ministry for Children.

Overseas tax details

In addition to the requirements for verifying your identification, if you’re under 16 your overseas tax details will need to be provided by your parent or guardian.

Overseas tax information

All customers opening a new account will need to provide us with information about their overseas tax status, even if you’re not a tax resident anywhere else1.

Business or Trust customers

If your account is for a business, we’ll need ID and proof of address for all directors, plus your certificate of incorporation.

If your account is for a trust, we’ll need to see ID and proof of address from all trustees plus the trust deed.

Depending on the complexity of your business or trust, we may need to follow up with you.