Additional resources and help for financial abuse

There are lots of organisations and resources that can help and support you if you are being financially abused.

If you're in immediate danger

If you're experiencing or witnessing domestic or financial abuse, and there's an immediate danger, then call the police on 111 (emergency). If it's not an emergency, but you still want to alert the police, call 105 (non-emergency).

Financial abuse

The Government has some useful guidance about financial abuse, including how to protect yourself, setting up an enduring power of attorney and making sure your will is up to date.

Family violence support

If you are a victim of family violence or in a relationship that makes you fearful about your own or anyone else's safety, seek help as soon as possible. You have the right to be safe.

Legal advice

If you don't have a lawyer, you can ask a Community Law Centre for advice. Limited free legal advice is available from your local Citizens Advice Bureau. You'll need to contact them to make an appointment.

Elder abuse

You can report elder abuse to Age Concern's Elder Abuse Services either online or through their helpline - 0800 652 105.

Support is also available through their email, by texting 5032 or through MSD's 24 hour Elder Abuse Helpline - 0800 326 6865.

Bank complaint

If you want to complain about Kiwibank you can do so online. If we're unable to resolve your complaint, you might want to get help from the Banking Ombudsman.

If you need help with debt or managing your money

Our Thrive HQ section has articles, tips and guides.

Money Talks, is a free financial resources for people struggling with their finances.

Sorted is the Retirement Commission site, with articles, guides and tools to help with money management.

FinCap has budgeting and financial capability information.

Citizens Advice - information, advice and support on topics including debt, money matters, housing and benefits.

You might also be interested in...