How it works
- You can access your overdraft through your Now, Front Runner, Bill Blaster, or Free Up account. Your overdraft will have an agreed overdraft limit, which you can borrow up to as you need.
- You'll only pay interest on the money you use. You can minimise the amount of interest you pay on your overdraft by repaying it as quickly as you can. There's no minimum monthly payment, and you can repay your overdraft as soon as you want to. View overdraft Interest rates.
- You'll pay an ongoing monthly fee to have your overdraft, and other fees may apply to your overdraft should you exceed your overdraft limit. View overdraft fees.
- If you're a tertiary student, doing an apprenticeship or are a recent graduate, then see what savings you may be entitled to with a Kiwibank Tertiary or Graduate Pack.
Contact us if you'd like to discuss other borrowing options or have any questions.
Apply for an overdraft, by downloading and completing an Overdraft application form (PDF 64.1 KB) and emailing it back to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or pick one up from your local Kiwibank. You can also apply over the phone on 0800 113 355
An application fee applies whether your overdraft is approved or not.
Kiwibank’s Personal Overdraft Terms and Conditions (PDF 108.8 KB) apply to all Kiwibank Overdrafts.
To be eligible for an overdraft, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be a Permanent New Zealand Resident.
- Be 18 years of age or over.
- Have an acceptable credit history. We’ll do a credit check as part of the application process.
- You can make a joint application to increase the income amount we use to assess affordability.
Kiwibank needs to be comfortable that your financial situation can support an overdraft. As part of the application, you may need to provide proof of income and some details about your monthly expenses, assets and liabilities. Having this information handy can help speed the application process up.
If you’re not certain whether you meet all of the above criteria, including having a good credit history, give us a call on 0800 113 355 to discuss your situation.