Life & Living Insurance benefits

Life & Living Insurance gives you peace of mind that the people you care about will have enough money to keep living comfortably if you were to die or get really sick and not be able to work any more.

We offer Life & Living insurance through our trusted life insurance partners at nib.

Life insurance

Life cover pays a lump sum if you die, or if you’re diagnosed with a terminal illness and are expected to die within 12 months. You can apply for any amount of cover.

How much do you need?

If you were to die, would there be enough money to cover your:

  • family's immediate living costs - things you spend money on day to day like food, transport and electricity
  • existing debts - things like your mortgage, credit cards or personal loans
  • funeral expenses

If you've got children, you'll need to think about:

  • childcare costs if your partner were to become a single parent
  • how many of your household expenses your partner could handle alone
  • your children’s education.

Who doesn’t need it?

If no one depends on you financially, you might not need Life insurance. But remember that if you die in debt, your debts, including funeral costs, might be passed on to your estate if your savings don’t cover them.

Who receives the money?

You can name a beneficiary, which is someone you want to receive any Life cover or Funeral Expenses payments. If you don’t name a beneficiary, payments will be made to your estate.

Living insurance

How much do you need?

If you were unable to work because of illness, would you have enough money to cover:

  • your current income? If you were to receive a disability benefit from WINZ, you’ll need to ask yourself if it’ll be enough to live on, to feed your family, pay the bills and keep your home
  • your family's immediate living costs - things you spend money on day to day like food, transport and electricity?

Who doesn’t need it?

If you’ve got enough savings to cover your living costs, if you weren’t able to work for a long period of time due to a serious illness, then you might be able to get by without Living insurance, or with a reduced level of cover.

What are the benefits?

Income Protection Illness cover

Pays a monthly amount if you’re unable to work because of illness. To be eligible for cover, you need to have been working for at least 25 hours a week for a single employer.

  • Select a cover period of two or five years, which is the maximum amount of time payments will be made for any one illness (and any related or similar illness).
  • The cover may also pay a further lump sum if you’re likely to be permanently unable to work and need permanent assistance with defined activities of daily living. This would be assessed once you’ve received the Income Protection Illness monthly payments for the maximum cover period you’ve selected.
  • The maximum amount of cover is 55% of your gross income, up to $6,000 per month.
  • Your monthly payments could be reduced by any income you continue to receive, or are entitled to receive from other sources, including: salary or wages, including sick leave; self-employed work-related income; any other insurance-related payments from other insurance providers or government payments such as a sickness or ACC benefit.
  • Under this cover, if your injury isn't covered under ACC, your injury will be treated as an ‘illness’. If your injury is covered by ACC, and the amount is less than what you’re covered for under your Income Protection Illness cover, the insurer may pay the difference.
Serious Illness Trauma cover
  • Pays a lump sum if you’re diagnosed with a defined medical condition, such as severe cancer or a severe heart attack. A list of definitions can be found in the full policy document (PDF 257.7 KB).
  • The maximum amount of cover is $1 million.

Funeral Expenses cover

This is a complimentary cover. Whichever cover you’ve chosen, as long as it’s in place, you’ll get a lump sum payment of $15,000 to help with funeral expenses if you die, or are diagnosed as terminally ill and expected to die within the next 12 months.

Temporary Accidental Death cover

While you’re waiting for your application to be assessed you’ll receive Temporary Accidental Death Cover (PDF 84.7 KB).

Stand down periods

Stand down periods apply for these policies – this means you can’t claim for certain things immediately. Please read the full policy document (PDF 257.7 KB) for details on stand down periods.

Apply for Life & Living Insurance

Before completing the application, you may want to talk through your options with a specialist, or calculate your cover using the Life & Living Insurance estimator.

Calculate your cover

Work out what type and how much Life & Living Insurance cover you might need to protect your lifestyle and look after the ones you love.

Calculate your cover

Talk to a specialist

If you’d like to talk through your options or apply over the phone, get in touch with a specialist from our trusted life insurance partners at nib.

Talk to a specialist

Complete application form

If you know what you’re after, and are ready to apply, download the application form and email the completed form to

Download application form