We were born in 2002 and have grown up fast. Since then, we've left the New Zealand Post nest and have become the country's biggest New Zealand owned bank, working hard to help make Kiwi better off. Below are some key milestones we've had along the way.
- We turned 20 and are celebrating with over one million customers
- We launched our new brand which pays homage to our past and represents who we want to be in the future.
2021 - 2018
- We became the first bank in New Zealand to use recycled plastic in all our cards
- We became a B Corporation™ certified company
- We received Canstar's 2021 Bank of the Year - Home Loans Award
- We went cheque-free
- We gained the Rainbow Tick, Gender Tick, and Living Wage accreditations
- We implemented the Responsible Business Banking Policy
- We formed partnerships with Emirates Team New Zealand, Stepping UP, Manaaki, Mentemia and Gumboot Friday
- We contributed $100,000 to the I Am Hope campaign to offer young kiwi free counselling
- We received Canstar's First Home Buyer Bank of the Year Award in 2018 for the eighth consecutive year straight.
2017 - 2015
- Kiwibank standalone branches are rolled out in communities around the country
- We launched QuickPay, a device that lets business banking customers take EFTPOS, Visa and Mastercard® payments through a smartphone and get paid anywhere, anytime.
- We formed partnerships with Banqer, the Department of Conservation, Aviva and Ākina Foundation
- We got Banqer into 1,000 Kiwi schools
- We explored New Zealanders’ relationship with money in the hit TV show, Mind Over Money with Nigel Latta and TVNZ.
2014 - 2012
- We turned 10 and reached over 800,000 customers
- Our mobile app launched, changing how customers bank online
- Our sister company, Kiwi Wealth Management (which is part of Kiwi Group Holdings Limited), buys Gareth Morgan Investments
- We partnered with Ngā Tāngata Microfinance Trust to support them to deliver no fee no interest micro-loans to Kiwi in need
- Kiwi Insurance receives its full licence, simplifying the way life insurance can be packaged for our customers.
2011 - 2009
- We sponsored the New Zealander of the Year Awards for the first time
- Voted New Zealand’s most trusted bank by Readers Digest in 2011 for the sixth year in a row
- We purchased an asset finance business which became Kiwi Asset Finance Limited to provide vehicle, plant and equipment loans for business customers.
2008 – 2006
- First New Zealand bank to launch real-time mobile banking
- We invest in New Zealand Home Loans, buying it outright four years later
- Awarded by Deloitte as the most improved performance and fastest growing employer
- We reached 600,000 customers.