To help ensure we meet our obligations to New Zealand, Kiwibank has signed up to the Code of Banking Practice, which sets out best industry practice and what banks will do for customers. View a copy of the New Zealand Bankers Association Code of Banking Practice 2012 (PDF 315.6 KB)
Kiwibank recognises that the broader impacts of conducting business in New Zealand can reach further than the direct impact of our actual operations. In addition to the Code of Banking Practice, Kiwibank applies a set of guiding principles for the benefit of our customers, while also using our influence as an organisation, an investor, and a lender, to make a positive contribution to our communities, the environment and New Zealand.
These guiding principles will be supported by management practices and systems. These will ensure that these principles are shared throughout Kiwibank and that these principles are applied across our business.
Our guiding principles
- Kiwibank respects the needs, desires and rights of its customers.
- Kiwibank is sensitive to the culture, context and needs of the community in which we do business. The ethical decisions that Kiwibank must make are guided by the values of the community that we serve.
- Kiwibank will not provide service to customers who are engaged in activities that are considered to be ethically undesirable.
- Kiwibank will not break the law and will not provide banking services to customers involved in illegal activities.
- Kiwibank will treat all people with courtesy and respect.
- Kiwibank will provide its customers with sufficient information regarding its lending and investment products so that they can make informed financial decisions.
- Kiwibank will not offer its customers debt that they cannot afford to repay and will assist customers if their circumstances change.
- Kiwibank promotes sustainable development in operating its business.
- Kiwibank considers suppliers on the basis of quality, cost, and social and environmental performance.
- Kiwibank is a voice for change in the banking industry to make responsible banking real for all New Zealanders.
If you have any feedback or an enquiry about our Code of banking responsibility, please email email@example.com.