Before you go on a holiday
Holidays aren't just about the destination, or even the journey, they're about creating memories. If you want to create good memories rather than stressed ones, then put a bit of planning into your trip before you take off.
Create a budget
Once you know where you want to go, and for how long, you have to work out how on earth you're going to pay for it all. Get your budget right from the beginning. Whether you’re backpacking or going five star, it might add up to more than you expect. Make sure you include as many costs as you can think of – flights, insurance, accommodation, food, drinks, entertainment, entrance tickets to tourist attractions, public transport, souvenirs, shopping, taxis or Ubers. Don’t guess, go online and research what these things cost, or if you’d prefer help, use a travel agent.
Let us know
If you'll be using your Visa Debit or credit card while you're overseas, you should contact us prior to leaving New Zealand so we can better protect your accounts and cards while you're away. You can:
- Add a travel notice with the dates you’ll be overseas, countries you’re visiting and the best way to contact you. In the mobile app – go to 'More', click 'Settings', then click 'Overseas Travel'. Via internet banking - go to 'Settings' then select 'Overseas Travel Notice'.
- Send us a secure message within internet banking or the mobile app
- Call +64 4 473 1133.
Get the essentials
Credit card and travel insurance
Our Air New Zealand Airpoints™ Platinum Visa gives you flexibility for bigger purchases. If you travel overseas, you’ll get built-in travel insurance for you and any immediate family travelling with you, simply by purchasing your travel and/or accommodation with your Air New Zealand Airpoints™ Platinum Visa before leaving New Zealand.
Every eligible purchase on our Airpoints credit cards also adds up to more Airpoints Dollars™ for your next trip.
Visa Debit Card
If you don't want to use a credit card while you're away, then consider getting a Visa Debit Card. You can use it around the world to access money direct from your Kiwibank account and can also use it to make online bookings, or for shopping anywhere that accepts Visa cards. Your transactions will be subject to currency conversion rates and fees.
See if a Visa Debit Card is available on your account.
Organise your paperwork
- Make copies of your passport, tickets, itinerary and insurance. Keep a copy for yourself and leave one with someone you know (and trust) at home.
- Have a think about whether you want to give someone you trust power of attorney to act in your name and run your affairs while overseas (e.g. pay bills, access your accounts).
- Set up automatic payments or direct debits for recurring bills while you're overseas.
- Check out the safety of the countries you’re travelling to. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs publishes travel advisories on it's SafeTravel site, and also lets you register your travel plans so they can contact you in case of emergency.