Travel planning checklist
- Arrange travel insurance – if you have a Platinum Visa or an Air New Zealand Airpoints Platinum Visa you may already be covered
- Get some local foreign currency before you go so you can pay for taxis when you get off the plane
- Check out any travel advisories for the country or countries you’re travelling to
- Find out if you need a visa for your destination
- Talk to your doctor about whether you need any vaccinations
- Make copies of your passport, tickets, itinerary, travel insurance policy and credit card numbers. Keep one copy with you, separate to the original, and leave a copy with someone at home
- Get your passport photos taken at a New Zealand Post retail outlet
- If you take medication, make sure you have enough to last the entire time you’re away, plus some extra in case you get delayed
- Check your airline’s security guidelines – some are stricter than others
- Research your destination so you’re clued up about how to get around and local customs.
Work out what you can afford
If you’re on a tight budget, try to save as much as you can before you leave, and stick to a budget while you’re away. We can also make it easier to save for your trip - check out our savings or investment accounts.
Check out the cost of flights, accommodation, and car hire. Estimate how much you’ll spend on food each day, and how much you’ll need for shopping, souvenirs, gifts and tourist attractions.
Be prepared to consider other options, such as a shorter break or a cheaper destination, if it means avoiding debt.
- Saving - Sorted website
Let us know you're travelling overseas
If you're going overseas and are going to use your Kiwibank ATM/Visa Debit Card or credit card while you’re away, you should contact us prior to leaving New Zealand by sending us a secure message within your internet banking or call us with the following:
- The dates you're going
- Where you're travelling to
- How long you're going for
- How we can contact you, while you're away.
Paying for things overseas
With Kiwibank you’ve got plenty of options when it comes to paying for things overseas.
- Our Loaded™ for Travel card is a prepaid Visa card that lets you load up to 11 major currencies onto the one card. Exchange rates are locked in when you load your card and it can be used wherever Visa is accepted
- Use your Air New Zealand Airpoints credit card and you’ll get yourself closer to your next holiday. For every dollar spent on eligible purchases* on your New Zealand Airpoints credit card you’ll earn Air New Zealand Airpoints Dollars™
- Use your Kiwibank Visa Debit Card around the world to access money direct from your Kiwibank account
- Your Kiwibank ATM/EFTPOS card can be used at more than 900,000 ATMs in over 120 different countries worldwide - just look for the Cirrus logo
- We offer a range of foreign currencies that you can order overnight at any Kiwibank, or get on the spot in many locations. When you get back, you can exchange any unused foreign cash for 0% commission.
Fees, including ATM fees and currency conversion fees may apply.
Be prepared for an emergency
An unfortunate fact of life is that sometimes things can go wrong. Make sure you’re covered for emergencies while travelling, with protection from a good travel insurance policy. With our gold and platinum credit cards, you get free travel insurance, which could save you hundreds of dollars (conditions apply).
Familiarise yourself with the emergency number in the country you’re travelling in, and make copies of all your important documents. This will make it easier to replace them if they’re lost or stolen.
The big OE
If you’re heading off on your OE, here are a few useful websites to help you out.
Working holiday schemes – Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade
Loaded™ for Travel cards
Loaded™ for Travel cards are issued by Kiwibank Limited. Loaded for Travel cards are only available for purchase by persons in New Zealand and are not offered to any person outside New Zealand (and by purchasing a Loaded for Travel card you represent to us that you are in New Zealand and not in any other jurisdiction). The Kiwibank “Loaded” names, logos and related trade marks and service marks are owned by Kiwibank Limited. Terms and conditions apply to the use of your Loaded for Travel card, and are available at loadedfortravel.co.nz.
All credit cards
Kiwibank is the issuer of the all credit cards. Lending criteria, terms and conditions and fees apply. Interest rates are subject to change.
Air New Zealand Airpoints Credit Cards
As well as Kiwibank’s terms and conditions, Airpoints Terms and Conditions apply. See airpoints.co.nz for details.
*Eligible purchases exclude fees or interest, balance transfers, credit card replacement insurance, gambling chips, money orders, travellers cheques or foreign currencies in cash, cash advances or cash withdrawals made from an ATM, or any transaction that is reversed, refunded or charged back.
Overseas travel insurance
Travel Insurance for eligible Kiwibank Credit Cards is provided by Tower Insurance Limited. Tower Insurance Limited is the only organisation responsible for claims under the policy. If you arrange your insurance through Kiwibank, you need to know that Kiwibank Limited doesn’t guarantee the obligations of, or any products issued by, Tower Insurance Limited. Important terms, conditions and exclusions are set out in the Travel Insurance for Kiwibank Credit Cards Policy wording (PDF 204.2 KB).
Visa Debit Card
The Visa Debit Card is not available on all accounts.
When Kiwibank converts foreign currency into New Zealand Dollars, or converts New Zealand Dollars into foreign currency, Kiwibank makes money on the foreign currency conversion rates.