Get switched on before you take off
A big part of travelling is getting your budget right from the get go – backpacking or five star, it might add up to more than you’d expect!
When you're away
Kiwibank has three easy ways to pay for things you need (and just plain want) before, during or after your travel.
Pay before with a Loaded™ for Travel card
A prepaid Visa you can load with a wide range of currencies. Load it when the exchange rates look good and then shop in the local currency overseas. And because it’s prepaid, it’s easier to stick to your budget. Check out loadedfortravel.co.nz
Pay as you go
Use around the world to access money direct from your Kiwibank account – it’s protected by Chip security too. Subject to currency conversion rates and fees. Not available on all accounts.
Sometimes there’s just no substitute for cash – when you first arrive, for small purchases and so on. We have a wide range of foreign cash, either on-the-spot or to order for next day collection.
Every eligible purchase* you make adds up to more Airpoints Dollars™ (see Conditions at bottom of page for description of eligible purchases) for your next trip.
Gives you flexibility for bigger purchases. If you travel overseas, you’ll get complimentary overseas travel insurance for you and any immediate family travelling with you, simply by purchasing your travel and/or accommodation with your card before leaving New Zealand.
Just in case
It’s always smart to be covered for emergencies – especially when you’re away.
- Tell us what you’re up to so we know all those overseas transactions are yours.
- Tell your alarm provider.
- Temporarily downgrade your SKY package whilst you’re away – hello easy savings.
- Hold your mail so you don’t need to rely on friends or neighbours.
- Hire the neighbour’s kid to mow the lawns.
- Put your gym membership on hold.
- Think about whether you want to give someone you trust power of attorney to act in your name and run your affairs while overseas (e.g. pay bills, access your accounts).
A few extra tips
- At your local PostShop you can get hassle free passport and ID photos in-store or emailed straight to your inbox.
- Check out travel advisories for the countries you’re travelling to.
- Make copies of your passport, tickets, itinerary, and insurance. Keep a copy for yourself and leave one with someone you know (and trust) at home.
- Find out more about Kiwibank Visa debit card, credit cards and Loaded™ for Travel cards
Foreign Currency Conversion
When Kiwibank converts foreign currency to New Zealand Dollars, or converts New Zealand Dollars into foreign currency, Kiwibank makes money on the foreign currency conversion rates.
Loaded™ for Travel Card
Loaded™ for Travel cards are issued by Kiwibank Limited. Loaded for Travel cards are only available for purchase by persons in New Zealand and are not offered to any person outside New Zealand (and by purchasing a Loaded for Travel card you represent to us that you are in New Zealand and not in any other jurisdiction). The Kiwibank ‘Loaded’ names, logos and related trade marks and service marks are owned by Kiwibank Limited. Terms and conditions apply to the use of your Loaded for Travel card, and are available at loadedfortravel.co.nz.
Air New Zealand Airpoints Credit Card
Kiwibank is the issuer of the Air New Zealand Airpoints credit cards. Lending criteria, terms and conditions and fees apply. Interest rates are subject to change. Airpoints Terms and Conditions apply. See airpoints.co.nz for details.
*Eligible purchases exclude fees or interest, balance transfers, credit card replacement insurance, gambling chips, money orders, travellers cheques or foreign currencies in cash, cash advances or cash withdrawals made from an ATM, or any transaction that is reversed, refunded or charged back.
Travel Insurance for Kiwibank Credit Cards is provided by Tower Insurance Limited, and Tower Insurance Limited is solely responsible for any claims under the policy. Kiwibank Limited does not guarantee the obligations of, or any products provided by, Tower Insurance Limited. Important terms, conditions and exclusions are set out in the Travel Insurance for Kiwibank Credit Cards policy wording.
Tower Insurance Limited has a financial strength rating of A- (Excellent) as at 25 July 2014 from A.M. Best Company. See Kiwibank Limited’s Disclosure Statement.