How you can protect yourself
There are a number of ways to make sure your ATM/EFTPOS Cards, Visa Debit Cards or credit cards stay as secure as possible.
- Keep your contact details up to date so we can let you know if we notice anything suspicious.
- Don’t let your card out of your sight – if a retailer needs to swipe your card, make sure they give it back to you straight away.
- Where possible, swipe your card through EFTPOS terminals yourself.
- Read the terms and conditions of any website before making an online purchase and look for hidden charges.
- Check your statements for any transactions that you don’t recognise.
- Never give your card details to someone over the phone unless you initiated the call and you know the company is reputable.
- If you have any doubts about the security of an ATM or retailer (especially on the internet) – don’t use it!
- If you've misplaced or lost your credit card, you can put a temporary block on your card using the mobile app or via internet banking. The block can be removed at any time within the app or internet banking.
- If your EFTPOS, Visa Debit or credit card has been lost, stolen or someone has discovered your PIN, please call us and we’ll cancel your card immediately. You can also cancel it and order a replacement card using the mobile app. EFTPOS and Visa Debit Cards can also be cancelled via internet banking.
- Memorise your PIN number – don’t write it down anywhere and don’t disclose it to anyone.
- Take extra care when keying in your PIN to make sure no one else can see it.
- Use different PINs for different cards.
When you're travelling overseas
- Let us know if you're going overseas, where you'll be travelling, how long for and how we can contact you while you're away. You can notify us using the mobile app – go to 'More', click 'Settings', then click 'Overseas Travel'. Via internet banking - go to 'Settings' then select 'Overseas Travel Notice'.
- Try to only use ATMs that are attached to banks.
- If you can, never let your card out of your sight. When in overseas restaurants, staff will often take your card away for payment. Consider going with them to sign and complete the payment or pay with cash instead.