Set up or reset mobile app account
You can reset your mobile app PIN by entering your internet banking password either via the login help option or after entering your pin three times incorrectly.
You’ll need to call us to reset your KeepSafe questions. Make sure you choose questions with answers that are easy to remember and easy to spell.
If you’re having technical issues with your KeepSafe, check out our troubleshooting guide that steps you through some solutions to common problems.
You can update your mobile number via internet banking or the mobile app. If you’d like to update your mobile number on internet banking or are having technical problems with accessing your account, call us on 0800 11 33 55 or +64 4 473 1133 from overseas. We’ll need you to provide us with your access number and the ID you used when opening your account, which is usually your driver’s licence or passport.
For transactions that require two factor authentication, if your one-time PIN is being sent to an old number which you no longer have access to, call us on 0800 113 355 or +64 4 473 1133 when you're overseas. We'll help you make the transaction and update your mobile number.
Please note you only get five free calls per month. After this, fees may apply.
You can find your access number on the following:
- Most Kiwibank bank statements
- Mobile app under 'More' – it'll be under your name
- At the back of your Visa Debit Card, EFTPOS or credit card
- Your welcome email if you're a new customer.
Manage your account
- Go to 'More'
- Click ‘Settings’
- Click ‘Personal Details’
- Choose what type of details you want changed
- Make your changes and hit save. You'll need to answer one of your KeepSafe questions to successfully save the change.
If you change your mobile number within the mobile app a one-time PIN is sent to your new mobile number to validate it. If you no longer have access to that number, please call us on 0800 113 355 or +64 4 473 1133 if you're overseas, and we'll help you make the transaction and update your mobile number. Please note, you’ll need a New Zealand mobile number to receive our two factor authentication SMS texts.
With insurance or personal loan providers
If you have insurance or a personal loan, you'll need to update your contact details separately with our insurance and personal loan providers.
Existing Kiwibank customers
- If you have the mobile app, log in and go to 'More', then click ‘Apply & Open’. This is the easiest and most straightforward way to open new accounts and for most types of accounts, you can use them straight away.
- If you don’t have the mobile app, the easiest way to get new accounts is to give us a call and get access to internet banking.
- If you prefer to bank in person, you can either give us a call or visit a branch.
New to Kiwibank
You can join Kiwibank online, you’ll be able to open an account, but you won’t have access to your account and its services until you’ve verified your identity. The accounts you can open as part of your online application are: Free Up for individuals and Business Edge for sole traders.
You’ll be able to open other accounts in internet banking or the mobile app, once you’re verified your identity.
To verify your identity and address, you can do this online using your smartphone, using your RealMe account, if you have one, or set up an appointment and take some ID and proof of address to your nearest Kiwibank.
Moving to New Zealand?
If you’re looking to move to New Zealand, check out this page to understand all the requirements for opening an account while you’re overseas. Please ensure you complete the form correctly and send us all the required documentation.
There are a couple of very important things to note:
- If you‘re not intending to come to New Zealand within the next six months, we won’t be able to open an account for you.
- While we can open an account and accept funds into that account, you’ll be unable to withdraw any deposits until you arrive in New Zealand and have your identity documents sighted.
If you'd like to close any of your Kiwibank accounts, you'll need to make sure the account has a zero balance e.g. no money in it and no overdraft being used. If there are any automatic payments going into this account from other accounts, including Kiwibank accounts, you'll need to either cancel them, or change the automatic payment to pay into a different account. The account can then be closed.
How to close one of your accounts. If your account is not a joint account, you can close it easily using the mobile app.
- Choose the account you want closed
- Click 'Detail'
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and click 'Close account'.
If you don’t have the mobile app you'll need to call us to close your account.
How to close all of your accounts
- Send us a secure mail in your mobile app, internet banking or give us a call.
If you choose to close all your accounts, we‘ll remove your internet banking access so we encourage you to download your statements from the statement vault.
We hate to see our customers leave and we appreciate knowing why you have closed your accounts. If you have feedback, positive or negative, we really would like to hear it.
If you're a Kiwibank customer and the matter isn’t urgent, you can log in to internet banking or our mobile app and send us a secure mail.
If you don’t have an internet banking, mobile app or if your issue's urgent, such as a lost or stolen card, please call us on +64 4 473 1133.
You can check your account balances when you log in to the app, or set up quick balance to get your balances at a glance without having to login.
- Go to 'More'
- Click 'Settings'
- Click 'Quick balances'
- Choose which accounts you want to be displayed.
If you can’t see your account balance, please send a secure mail message.
You should contact us prior to leaving New Zealand so we can better protect your accounts and cards while you're away. You can:
- Notify us using the mobile app – go to 'More', click 'Settings', then click 'Overseas Travel'
- Send us a secure message within internet banking
- Call +64 4 473 1133.
If you’re making a payment to someone new on your mobile app while you’re overseas, we can't guarantee you’ll receive the one-time PIN via SMS. If you're able to receive a SMS from us from overseas, there could be charges to receive it, please check with your provider. If you're experiencing any problems receiving your one-time PIN, please call us 0800 113 355 or +64 4 473 1133 if you're overseas and we'll help you make the transaction.
- Go to 'Cards'
- Choose the card you want to block or unblock
- Tick or untick 'Block transactions on this card'.
Loading a block on your card will stop any transaction being made. The block can be removed at any time within the app.
See our mobile app guides for a step-by-step video.
Visa Debit Card or EFTPOS card
- Login to the mobile app
- Go to 'Cards'
- Click 'Order new everyday card'
- Choose either 'Visa Debit Card or 'EFTPOS card'
- Fill in your details
- Hit 'Order card'.
You'll be able to select a PIN for your card and choose what accounts you'd like your card linked to. You can select up to two accounts for a card to be linked to. See our mobile app guides for a step-by-step video.
Your new Visa Debit Card or EFTPOS card will be mailed out to you and should arrive within one to two weeks. If you need to get help in the meantime, please visit your nearest branch.
- Go to 'Cards'
- Click 'Apply for a credit card'
- Complete the application form.
Once you submit the form, we'll process your application and send you an email to let you know if your application has been approved.
You can only cancel your Visa Debit Card or EFTPOS card using the mobile app.
- Go to 'Cards'
- Choose the card you want to cancel
- Select 'Cancel'
- Confirm your details are correct, then cancel your card.
If you want to cancel your credit card, ordering a replacement card using the mobile app will automatically cancel your existing card. If you'd like to permanently cancel your credit card, please give us a call.
- Go to 'Cards'
- Choose the card you want to replace
- Click 'Replace this card'
- Confirm the delivery address is correct and select the reason for replacement.
- Once you confirm your details are correct including your postal address, click submit.
Your old card will be cancelled and a replacement card will be mailed to you. If you need to get help in the meantime, please visit your nearest branch.
To set or change a PIN on your Visa Debit Card, EFTPOS or credit card:
- Log in to the mobile app
- Go to ‘Cards’
- Choose the card you want to add the PIN on
- Select ‘Set/Change PIN’
- Enter your new PIN
- Re-enter your new PIN (to confirm it).
- Go to 'Pay & transfer'
- Click 'Make a home loan payment'
- Choose the account you want to make the repayment to come from
- Choose the applicable home loan
- Enter the amount required
- Enter any statement details (optional)
- Click 'Make payment'
- Before confirming the payment, you'll be prompted with a message giving you the ability to change the details if needed
- If no details need changing, click 'Proceed anyway'.
You're unable to make a lump sum payment that's higher than your current loan balance and there's no minimum amount you must enter.
- Go to 'More'
- Go to 'Apply & Open' on the main side menu bar
- Select 'Term Deposit' from the list
- Fill in your details and press confirm and open.
You can deposit any amount from $1,000 to $1 million in New Zealand dollars. The funds must be available in your Kiwibank account to set up the deposit.
We'll send you a confirmation that the deposit has been set up and will contact you before your investment matures. For amounts higher than $1 million, you’ll need to contact us - send us a secure mail, call us on 0800 113 355 or visit your nearest Kiwibank.
When the term is up, you can set it up so your original deposit and the interest you’ve earned is automatically reinvested, or you can have it all paid out into your chosen bank account. If you haven't already set your interest to pay out during the term, you can change your instructions about what you'd like to do in the mobile app.
- Select the 'Term Deposit' on the 'Accounts' page
- Click the 'Detail' tab
- Select 'Change maturity details'
- You'll have the following options:
- change to pay out the interest at maturity to a New Zealand dollar bank account
- change to pay out the full Term Deposit at maturity to a New Zealand dollar bank account
- reinvest the Term Deposit with or without the interest previous terms interest by choosing the term you want to reinvest it at.
If you choose to reinvest at maturity, the Term Deposit will reinvest for the selected term at the rate on the day of maturity.
Download our mobile app
Our mobile app is free to download on the App Store or Google Play, you just need to be a Kiwibank customer. You don't need to have internet banking either – but you can register for it completely from the app if you want.
If you’re new to mobile banking and would like support, we can help you to get set up and do your banking online. Please fill out our digital banking support form and we’ll get in touch as soon as we can.