Check or update your tax information

If you need to check or update the tax information Kiwibank has for you, you can do this directly through internet banking or our mobile app – it's easy and fast.

Tax certificates for year ending 31 March 2020

If you’ve earned more than $50 interest in the last tax year, we’ll be sending you a tax certificate in the post to the address we hold on file as at the end of March 2020. The expected mailing date is 16 April 2020, so if you haven’t received your tax certificate by the end of April, please contact us.

Due to changes in the tax rules, this is the last year we'll send you an annual RWT / NRWT certificate. From 1 April 2020, we'll report your interest and tax details directly to IRD each month. You'll be able to view this information on your myIR account, by visiting

Provide your IRD number to avoid a higher tax rate

From 1 April 2020, the non-declaration Resident Withholding Tax (RWT) rate that applies to customers who have not provided us with their IRD number will increase from 33% to 45%.

You can check or add your IRD number through internet banking or our mobile app. If you don’t know your IRD number, or need to apply for one, visit or call IRD on 0800 227 774.

Prescribed Investor Rate (PIR)

If you have a Notice Saver, PIE Term Deposit, PIE Online Call or Kiwi Wealth KiwiSaver account you'll have a Prescribed Investor Rate (PIR) – this is the rate of tax you pay on PIE income earned and may be different to your resident withholding tax (RWT) rate.

We can’t give you tax advice, so we can’t tell you which PIR you should select. It’s your responsibility to select your PIR and advise us of any changes.

The information below is intended as a general guide only. For tax advice relating to your specific circumstances, you should contact Inland Revenue or a tax professional.

Working out your PIR (individual & joint investors1)

Your PIR will depend on your worldwide income for the last two income years. Generally, an income year runs from 1 April to 31 March. You can find your previous years PIE income on your PIE tax certificate.

If in either of the last two income years:

Your PIR will be:

  1. Your taxable income was $14,000 or less, AND
  2. Your taxable income (including PIE income) was $48,000 or less


  1. Your taxable income was $48,000 or less, AND
  2. Your taxable income (including PIE income) was $70,000 or less


  1. You’re not a New Zealand tax resident, OR
  2. You don’t meet the above requirements for 10.5% or 17.5%


If your income calculation above for each of the last two income years results in two different PIRs, you can then choose the lower PIR for the current year.

Joint account holders are treated as one account holder – and the PIR for the account is applied to the account is the highest PIR of any joint account holder.

1Excludes individuals who are a trustee of a trust. If you're investing as a trust, company, charity, incorporated society or other form of entity please refer to or seek advice from a tax professional.

How to check or update your PIR

Any changes you make will apply to both Kiwibank accounts and Kiwi Wealth KiwiSaver.

Internet banking

  1. Login to internet banking
  2. Click on 'Settings'
  3. Click on 'Personal Details'
  4. Scroll down to 'Tax Details' – check or update your PIR/RWT.

Mobile app

  1. Login to our mobile app
  2. Click on 'Settings' from the side menu
  3. Click on 'Personal Details'
  4. Click 'Tax Details' – check or update your PIR/RWT.

No IRD number loaded? You can add this yourself or if it’s incorrect contact us to update it.

No internet banking or mobile app access?

  • Check your statements to see what PIR is used for your end of month interest – if this is correct you don’t need to contact us.
  • To make changes, call us on 0800 11 33 55 or from overseas +64 4 473 1133 between:
    • Mon - Thu: 7am - 9pm
    • Fri: 7am - 8pm
    • Sat - Sun: 8am - 4:30pm.
  • Kiwi Wealth KiwiSaver only? Visit or contact KiwiWealth Customer Services on 0800 427 384 or