On this page:

Verify your ID and address in branch

Verifying your identity

You can bring either:

  • your passport, or
  • your New Zealand driver licence and a credit or ATM/EFTPOS card from another bank, with your name and signature on it.

Don’t have these? Find out what else you can bring Kiwibank's Identify and Verify (PDF 92.5 KB).

Verifying your address

You’ll also need to bring in something printed with your name and address that’s dated in the last six months. This could be a:

  • power, phone (fixed line, not mobile) or other utility bill
  • bank statement or letter issued from another registered New Zealand bank in the last six months
  • letter from central government or local council
  • store account statement
  • letter from a GP
  • letter from a school or tertiary institute
  • tenancy agreement
  • employment agreement
  • letter from another financial institution
  • letter from electoral office

Overseas tax information

Before setting up a new account you will also be required to provide information on your overseas tax residency status including your tax identification number if applicable. **

Find out more

Business or Trust customers

If your account is for a business, we’ll need ID and proof of address for all directors, plus your certificate of incorporation.

If your account is for a trust, we’ll need to see ID and proof of address from all trustees plus the trust deed.

Depending on the complexity of your business or trust, we may need to follow up with you.

Under 18?

If you’re under 18 and you only have a New Zealand birth certificate, we can accept that along with a proof of address.

If you don’t have a proof of address in your own name, we’ll also accept proof of address from your parent or guardian.

Download or print out Kiwibank's Identify and Verify (PDF 92.5 KB) or pick up a copy from your local Kiwibank.

**This requirement was brought into New Zealand legislation as part of the Tax Administration Act 1994 (effective from 1 July 2017). New Zealand financial institutions must identify accounts held by customers who are foreign tax residents or entities connected to foreign tax residents, and must report prescribed identity and financial information about these accounts to Inland Revenue.