Authorisations and declined transactions

What happens if I don't have any money in my account?

Your Visa Debit Card is linked to your everyday account(s). If you don't have any money in your account(s), your transaction will be declined.

If your account goes into an unauthorised overdraft, you’ll be charged an account out of order fee. See our fees

Why is there a difference between my available balance and current balance?

Some places, like hotels and car rental agencies, might request confirmation that your account has enough funds to meet the estimated cost of goods or services that they supply. We treat the request as a card authorisation, which means you can't access those funds, even though the transaction hasn't been processed. When the transaction is processed, the authorisation is also processed and the transaction will show up in your account. These card authorisations will hold funds in your account for up to five days.

Fraud and security

Lost, damaged or stolen cards

Call us on 0800 113 355 (or +64 4 473 1133 from overseas) and we’ll cancel your card and order you a new one.

(If you find your old card again, you’ll need to cut it up and use your new one.)

A card replacement fee applies. See our fees

What should I do if I notice transactions on my account that aren't mine?

If you think there’ve been fraudulent transactions on your account, you should contact us immediately on 0800 113 355 or +64 4 473 11 33 from overseas. You need to check your transactions regularly, and contact us immediately if something doesn't look right.

If fraudulent card transactions occur on your account and our investigations prove that you weren't responsible, you may not be liable for any losses incurred. See our General terms and conditions for Personal and business (PDF 279.7 KB) for more information.

How do I dispute a transaction?

Please download and read our Visa Debit Card Transaction dispute information (PDF 474.6 KB)

An investigation fee may apply. See our fees

What should I do if I think my PIN’s been compromised?

If you think someone’s found out what your PIN is, compromising the security of your account, you should contact us immediately on 0800 113 355 or +64 4 473 11 33 from overseas so we can cancel your card. Otherwise, visit your local Kiwibank to change your PIN.

Do the standard Visa chargeback rights apply to a Visa Debit Card?

Yes they do. If you want to dispute a transaction, call us on 0800 113 355 or +64 4 473 11 33 from overseas within 30 days of the date of transaction.

Your card

What does it cost?

There’s a $10 annual fee to have the card - we’ll waive this for the first year you have a Visa Debit Card with us. See our fees

What happens when my card expires?

Your card is valid for three years - we’ll send you a new one when it’s about to expire. Just use it with your PIN in an EFTPOS terminal to activate it.

How do I close my card?

Your card’s linked to your account. If you close your account, we’ll automatically close your card as well. If you want to close your card but keep your account open, call us on 0800 113 355 or +64 4 473 11 33 from overseas, or visit your local Kiwibank.