How it works
You’re covered automatically as long as you activate your cover before leaving New Zealand by using your card to buy:
- your overseas travel tickets, or
- one or more nights of pre-paid accommodation, or
- a pre-paid rental car or pre-paid scheduled transport ticket, or
- a pre-paid, guided tour.
To be covered, you need to:
- be a citizen or permanent resident of New Zealand
- be under 80 years old for the duration of your travel
- be returning to New Zealand upon completion of your planned travel
- use your Mastercard Gold or Air New Zealand Airpoints Platinum Mastercard to activate your cover
- have an active Mastercard Gold or Air New Zealand Airpoints Platinum Mastercard for the duration of your travel.
Business trips are only covered if you’re attending:
- a conference
- trade fair
- business training course, or
- business meeting – provided that no manual work or manual activities are involved.
Pre–existing medical condition(s) aren’t covered automatically. We may be able to cover your pre–existing condition(s) for an extra premium, which we’ll charge to your Kiwibank account. To find out more, call Tower on 0800 845 010.
Your cover is provided by Tower Insurance Limited, and includes:
- cover for up to 40 days away (if you’re going for longer, you can arrange for cover beyond 40 days as long as you do that by calling us on 0800 521 521 before leaving New Zealand). The only regions excluded are those classified as "extreme risk" by the New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade, at the time your travel booking is made. See safetravel.govt.nz for more information.
- protection for your spouse and dependent children if they’re travelling with you
- 24-hour worldwide emergency assistance.
You’re covered for:
- medical expenses if you’re injured or have an accident
- loss or damage to belongings or travel documents
- unforeseeable cancellations, delays and loss of deposits
- kidnap and ransom
- rental vehicle excess.
The policy wording below has the full terms, conditions and exclusions.
Ways to make a claim
- If you're in New Zealand, call 0800 800 477, Monday - Friday 8am - 5pm.
- If you're overseas, call collect on +64 9 985 5000, available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Please call as soon as you can after something goes wrong.
Complete a claim form
You can download or complete an online travel insurance claim form on the Tower website
Important terms, conditions and exclusions are set out in the:
- Travel Insurance for Kiwibank Credit Cards Policy wording (PDF 195.8 KB)
Any questions? Call us on 0800 521 521.
Travel Insurance for Kiwibank Credit Cards is provided by Tower Insurance Limited and Tower Insurance Limited is solely responsible for any claims under the policy. Kiwibank Limited (including its related companies) does not guarantee the obligations of, or any products provided by, Tower Insurance Limited or its related companies.
Tower Insurance Limited has a financial strength rating of A- (Excellent) as at 9 March 2018 from A.M. Best Company.
A++, A+ Superior
A, A- Excellent
B++, B+ Good
B, B- Fair
C++, C+ Marginal
C, C- Weak
E Under Supervision
F In Liquidation