How it works
You’re covered automatically as long as you activate your cover before leaving New Zealand by using your card to buy:
- your overseas travel tickets, or
- one or more nights of pre-paid accommodation, or
- a pre-paid rental car or pre-paid scheduled transport ticket, or
- a pre-paid, guided tour.
Your cover is provided by Tower Insurance Limited, and includes:
- cover for up to 40 days away (if you’re going for longer, you can arrange for cover beyond 40 days as long as you do that by calling us on 0800 521 521 before leaving New Zealand). The only regions excluded are those classified as "extreme risk" by the New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade, at the time your travel booking is made. See safetravel.govt.nz for more information.
- protection for your spouse and dependent children if they’re travelling with you
- 24-hour worldwide emergency assistance.
To be covered, you need to:
- be a citizen or permanent resident of New Zealand
- be under 80 years old for the duration of your travel
- be returning to New Zealand upon completion of your planned travel
- use your Mastercard Gold or Air New Zealand Airpoints Platinum Mastercard to activate your cover
- have an active Mastercard Gold or Air New Zealand Airpoints Platinum Mastercard for the duration of your travel.
Business trips are only covered if you’re attending:
- a conference
- trade fair
- business training course, or
- business meeting – provided that no manual work or manual activities are involved.
Pre–existing medical condition(s) aren’t covered automatically. We may be able to cover your pre–existing condition(s) for an extra premium, which we’ll charge to your Kiwibank account. To find out more, call Tower on 0800 845 010.
You’re covered for:
- medical expenses if you’re injured or have an accident
- loss or damage to belongings or travel documents
- unforeseeable cancellations, delays and loss of deposits
- kidnap and ransom
- rental vehicle excess.
Full policy details
Make a claim
- If you're in New Zealand, call 0800 800 477. We're available 8am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.
- If you're overseas, call collect on +64 9 985 5000. We're available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Please call as soon as you can after something goes wrong.
Complete a claim form
Download and complete the Tower online travel insurance claim form on the Tower website.
Travel Insurance for eligible Kiwibank Credit Cards is provided by Tower Insurance Limited. Tower Insurance Limited is the only organisation responsible for claims under the policy. If you arrange your insurance through Kiwibank, you need to know that Kiwibank Limited doesn’t guarantee the obligations of, or any products issued by, Tower Insurance Limited. Important terms, conditions and exclusions are set out in the Travel Insurance for Kiwibank Credit Cards policy wording (PDF 195.8 KB).
View information about Tower's financial strength rating and solvency margin on their website at tower.co.nz.
Mastercard is a registered trademark of Mastercard International incorporated.
Kiwibank and Kiwi Insurance Limited hold no responsibility for the content on third party websites and make no representations as to the accuracy of the information provided on those websites.
“We”, “us” or “our” means Tower Insurance Limited.