How to use it
You don't need to sign or enter a PIN, so it takes seconds — and because your card never leaves your hand, you're always in control.
For purchases over $80, you can still tap your card — but you'll need to sign or enter your PIN to complete the transaction.
- Tap your card against the Mastercard Contactless reader
- Listen for the beep
- Look for the green light and the word ‘accepted’ on the reader
Where to use it
You can use Contactless anywhere you see the Mastercard Contactless logo and the contactless symbol, both here and overseas.
You can still swipe or insert your card at millions of locations worldwide, wherever Mastercard is accepted.
How to get it
Every Kiwibank Credit Card issued after 15 September 2011 will come with Contactless. If you already have a card and want Contactless, call us on 0800 521 521 — there's no charge.
You can use Mastercard Contactless anywhere in the world you see the Contactless logo — but the purchase limit will vary from country to country.
Is it safe?
Mastercard Contactless is just as safe as how you pay now.
- never leaves your hand when you make a payment — so you're always in control
- has to be extremely close to the reader to make a purchase — there's no risk of accidentally purchasing anything as you walk past the reader
- is only charged once — even if you accidentally tap it twice.
As always, your card is protected by Mastercard's Zero Liability Policy — so you're not liable for any unauthorised fraudulent transactions.
If you think your card has been used without your authorisation, call us as soon as possible on 0800 521 521.
Mastercard and the Mastercard brand mark are registered trade marks of Mastercard International Incorporated. Contactless is the trade mark of Mastercard International Incorporated.