So we set up shop in PostShops throughout the country, putting us in more locations than any other bank in New Zealand literally overnight (without wasting millions on new premises!).
Where that thinking got us
Just a few short years later, we have more than 800,000 customers, with hundreds more joining each week.
We have more than 1000 Kiwibank staff around the country and a nationwide ATM network. We're in more than 250 PostShops, which means we can stay open longer than other banks, even on weekends in many places.
We've got what you need
Kiwibank's full range of accounts and services are leading the charge.
- Personal banking - home loans, personal loans, credit cards, everyday accounts, savings accounts, investments and insurance.
- Business banking - lending, cheque accounts, savings accounts, credit cards, investments, merchant services and insurance.
- International services - online and manual international money transfers, foreign exchange and Foreign Currency Accounts.
All the banking services you could possibly need including internet, phone and mobile banking, txt and email alerts, online and email statements, a nationwide network of ATMs —the works!
Some of our great thinking
We're challenging the Aussie banks and their old fashioned thinking. As well as being voted New Zealand’s Most Trusted Bank three years in a row at the Readers Digest Trusted Brand Awards, we are:
- Giving you better value - our great deals have seen us win the Customer satisfaction 2017 award.
- Giving you the good stuff, first - we were first to introduce real time mobile phone banking, beating the world's biggest banks to win the international 2007 Financial Innovation Award. We were also the first bank in New Zealand to launch a PIE Term Deposit Fund, TXT alerts and online international money transfers.
New Zealand Post guarantee
When Kiwibank was launched in 2002, a guarantee from the owner New Zealand Post was provided to give customers a level of assurance on the safety of their funds in the new bank.
On 31 October 2016 New Zealand Post provided notice to Kiwibank of the termination of the 2001 Deed Poll Guarantee, under which New Zealand Post guaranteed certain payment obligations of Kiwibank and Kiwibank’s subsidiaries. This notice of termination will take effect on 28 February 2017.
Why withdraw the guarantee now?
Since the guarantee was granted the bank has been operating for 14 years, and has substantial banking experience including trading successfully through the Global Financial Crisis. The bank produced an after tax profit of $124 million for the year ended 30 June 2015 and has paid dividends to its owner. This is strong evidence of the financial strength of the bank.
How does this affect my existing Kiwibank deposit?
Existing deposits in Kiwibank will remain covered by the guarantee until they are withdrawn, renewed or otherwise reduced or repaid. Any new deposits made after the guarantee termination date won’t have the benefit of the guarantee. As part of this change, we’ve updated the terms and conditions for PIE Online Call Fund, PIE Term Deposit Fund, PIE Notice Saver Fund and Kiwibank Term Deposits.
Where can I find out more information?
Our General Disclosure Statement (PDF 991.5 KB) is updated each quarter and contains additional important information for investors.
Units in the Kiwibank PIE Term Deposit Fund are distributed by Kiwibank and are issued by Kiwibank Investment Management Limited. Download the current Terms and Conditions for the PIE Term Deposit Fund (PDF 51.1 KB) or pick up a copy from your local Kiwibank.